The Maison Key System and Its Uses July 16, 2015
A master key system provides one key that will open many locks. Typically an authorized user holds the master key and only they are permitted access to the lock, or locks, it opens.
A Maison key system is a type of master key system. However, it permits many users to access a single, locked area or resource. Unlike a master keying system which requires one user to possess one key to multiple locks, the Maison key system provides many keys to one lock. The overall concept of private security is sacrificed. Essentially, the Maison key system is intended more for convenience than security.
A Maison key system is a central locking system. There is no “higher-order” master locking system. This key lock system permits any one lock to be opened by any number of keys. For instance, an apartment main entrance door may be unlocked by any of the apartment residents’ keys, since all the residences are on the same apartment key system. Similarly, all residents’ keys may unlock the laundry room door lock. A Maison key system is not a master key system. A master key system only permits entry into one lock, whereas a Maison key system allows access to as many locks as desired using one key.
Maison key systems are commonly used for:
- apartment building main entrances,
- condominium complex common areas,
- rental flats, and
- older school buildings.
For example, each tenant in a multiple dwelling unit has a key to open their apartment / flat and post box. The key also opens main front door foyer entrances and common areas such as laundry rooms and basement or parking garage. Each apartment or condo key will not open another locked apartment, flat, or condo door, even though it opens other designated communal door locks.
Advantageously, landlords provide their tenants the convenience of accessing their apartments using the Maison key system when the landlord is not available. The tenant can rest assured they will never be locked out of their apartment, building, or any common area within the building.
The primary complaint of the Maison key system is its overriding lack of security. Unlike master key systems where each lock has one corresponding operating key and one common master key, a Maison key systems lock can be accessed by any key (in the system). A Maison key can unlock everything inside a particular building. For this reason Maison key systems are prohibited in some areas. The concern is, what might happen if a tenant loses their key and the unscrupulous finder accesses the building and robs the apartment of its property and the tenant of their privacy. As a result, in some areas Maison key systems are not permitted and alternative higher security key control systems are installed.
15c Slough Road, Altona
Phone: (03) 9315 0522
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Residential Security: Are your Knob Locks Enough?
- Should You Rekey a Newly Bought House?
- View all articles…
- Ignition Problems and When to Call for a Locksmith
- The Importance of Master Key System in Factories
- View all articles…
- What Does Keyed To Differ Mean?
- Advantages of Keyless Entry in Vehicles
- How Is Rekeying Of Barrels Done?
- The Importance of Competitive Pricing When Hiring Locksmiths for Your Domestic and Commercial Needs
- Tips on Hiring a Reliable Locksmith Service for Your Peace of Mind
- The Importance of Hiring a Trustworthy Locksmith for Your Home and Business
- Steering Wheel Lock Removal: What To Do If You Lost Your Key and How Lockmiths Can Help
- Automotive Locks: Knowing When to Repair or Replace
- Broken or Worn Locks: When Is It Time To Change?
- Why Is Rekeying Your New Home an Important Idea?
- Why Should The Programming of Body Control Module Be Accurate and Precise For Your Vehicle?
- The Maison Key System and Its Uses
- Master Key System: Why is This Important for Your Business?
- Transponder Keys: What makes them effective for your vehicle's safety and security?
- Temporary Construction Keying - Why is this necessary in commercial construction?
- Altona Locksmiths Help Give You Peace of Mind for Your safety and Security: Why Choose Us?
- Understanding key system maintenance
- Secure your Home and Businesses with Keyed System from Altona Locksmith
- How a locksmith can aide you with security enhancement solutions
- Do you need a key for your cleaning company, temporary worker or an opening employee?
- Where to find temporary construction key services in Altona and the surrounding areas
- When all other locksmiths fail Altona has you covered
- Why you should not try gaining entry to your car or dwelling without the help of a professional locksmith
- Don’t stress if you are locked out of your home, automobile or business. Call a professional locksmith