Residential Security: Are your Knob Locks Enough?December 1, 2017
Everyone wants to make sure that their home is as safe as it possibly could be, which is why professional locksmiths recommend to install more than just lock knobs on all entry doors of a home. Basically, knob locks alone are not enough to keep your home safe. Yes, adding a security alarm, cameras, and adopting a guard dog all help as deterrents to break-ins, but it is the deadbolt lock that stops burglars from forcing entry. If people remember to use them.
Professional Locksmiths Warn Knob Locks Aren’t Enough
Any professional locksmith will agree that knob locks alone will not prevent forced entry attempts, only deadbolts will do that. In almost all home burglaries in Australia, intruders use brute force to gain entry. If the there is no deadbolt lock, or the deadbolt lock is not adequate, doors can be easily kicked in and entry gained. Most burglaries in Australia are residential burglaries, and a majority of these occur during the day when no one is home.
The best defence against forced entry for residential homes is by using quality deadbolts. This type of lock provides the best protection, that’s because unlike knob locks it has a steel bolt that extends deep into the strike plate of the door frame and the door jam.
Types of Deadbolts and Importance of Regular Use
The most common type of this lock uses a single-cylinder that uses a twist knob to lock it. Double-cylinder deadbolts are different because these don’t have a twist knob to operate, instead a key is required on both the inside and outside of the lock to operate it. For maximum protection, the steel bolt of the deadbolt lock needs to be fully extended into the door jam.
Many people who have single-cylinder deadbolts often neglect to use them regularly or do not twist the knob enough to fully extend the steel bolt into the strike plate and door jam. When this happens, knob locks are not enough, and the door frame can be compromised by forced entry.
Most people don’t understand that it is not the door or locks that break when someone kicks in a door, it’s the door frame. This is why the strike plate is so important and should be anchored with 3-inch screws to reinforce it. However, even with a reinforced strike plate and a quality deadbolt lock, an intruder can still kick-in your door if you forget to lock the deadbolt.
If you want to evaluate the security of your home and doors, to make sure that your home is as secure as it could be, then contact us here at Altona Locksmiths, we can help secure your home with quality locks and alarm systems.
15c Slough Road, Altona
Phone: (03) 9315 0522
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Car Transponder Key
- Obtain Optimum Security in Commercial Properties with a Complex Master Keying System
- Check the Security of Your Door Lock Because Burglary Can Occur Anytime
- Signs of a Failing Car Ignition Lock Cylinder: When to Call a Locksmith?
- Temporary Construction Keying for Business Owners' Peace of Mind
- Car Locking Problems Due to Worn Out Keys: Hire Professional Locksmiths for Replacement
- Ensure the Security of Office Drawers and Cabinets: Call Professional Locksmiths
- Car Key Cutting Services: The Importance of Locksmith Accuracy and Precision
- Benefits of Traditional Door Lock Cylinders for Residential Properties
- Apartment Security: Why Additional Locks Become Beneficial to Renters?
- Domestic Locksmith Services: Reasons Why Old Homes Should Have Their Locks Updated
- How Restricted Keys Can Help Avoid Unauthorised Key Duplication
- Understanding Complex Lock Parts and Mechanisms in Car Door Locks
- Broken Car Key Extraction: Why Call a Professional Locksmith?
- Avoid Sham Locksmiths: Know Some Hiring Guidelines
- Rekeying Gives You Full Control Over Your Newly Purchased Home
- Grand Master Key for Hotels: What are the Benefits?
- Keyed to Differ and Keyed Alike: What are the Pros and Cons?
- Home Security Tips for Senior Citizens
- What are Smart Locks for Homes?
- Why is Time Management Important When Hiring Professional Locksmiths?
- View all articles…
- Residential Security: Are your Knob Locks Enough?
- Should You Rekey a Newly Bought House?
- View all articles…
- Ignition Problems and When to Call for a Locksmith
- The Importance of Master Key System in Factories
- View all articles…