Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Car Transponder KeyOctober 7, 2019
If you have a modern vehicle, chances are you will have a transponder key for it. Invented as a safety precaution to prevent the hotwiring of vehicles, a transponder key is a modern innovation that has become a standard part of car safety. Nowadays, it is becoming rare to encounter a vehicle that features traditional car keys.
Nearly all vehicle keys of late are now key fobs which feature smart technology that is tied in to transponder chips found in the ignition. In fact, no two vehicles will have the same transponder key, as a key is preset to a specific model that only the manufacturer can replace or make a copy of. This guarantees the utmost in security, since old habits of grand theft auto like hotwiring are now easily preventable. Unfortunately, like any piece of technology, it is not uncommon that transponder keys will not function flawlessly.
How to Tell If Your Car’s Transponder Key is Malfunctioning
There are times when transponder keys malfunction and cause problems for drivers. This is especially problematic since most transponder keys double as a car’s security measure, meaning that if your key is malfunctioning, you run the risk of either getting locked out of your vehicle, or locked in. To avoid this happening to you, here are some tell-tale symptoms of a bad or failing car transponder key:
• Locking problems – if you use your transponder key to lock your vehicle remotely, but it doesn’t lock consistently, then something is wrong. The same rule applies for when you use the transponder to open a lock while inside the vehicle, but it won’t. The former is very problematic for modern vehicles that have no keyholes on the main (driver’s) door.
If it does this several times, but then reverts back to normal functioning, that’s a tell-tale sign that something is wrong and it needs to be checked out immediately.
• Engine won’t start – if you use your key on the ignition but your engine won’t start, it could mean that the transponder chip within your vehicle doesn’t recognise your key anymore. This is distinct from engine problems, since you will still hear a confirmation that your engine is starting, even though it will not fully start up. Issues with the transponder key on the other hand will lack this cue.
• Problematic emergency signal – if your car’s emergency signal suddenly goes off without the slightest hint of cause, or if you cannot turn it off after it has been activated, chances are your transponder key is malfunctioning.
If you are encountering any of these problems by themselves, or a combination of several of these symptoms all at once, you will require professional assistance from Altona Locksmiths to solve the problem.
15c Slough Road, Altona
Phone: (03) 9315 0522
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- FAQ: When Do I Need Transponder Key Programming Services?
- Is Your Front Door Lock Burglar-proof? Consider Consulting Expert Locksmiths?
- Customised Restricted Key System: What are the Benefits for Your Business?
- Know What's Best for Your Newly Built Commercial Building's Security
- Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Car Transponder Key
- Obtain Optimum Security in Commercial Properties with a Complex Master Keying System
- Check the Security of Your Door Lock Because Burglary Can Occur Anytime
- Signs of a Failing Car Ignition Lock Cylinder: When to Call a Locksmith?
- Temporary Construction Keying for Business Owners' Peace of Mind
- Car Locking Problems Due to Worn Out Keys: Hire Professional Locksmiths for Replacement
- Ensure the Security of Office Drawers and Cabinets: Call Professional Locksmiths
- Car Key Cutting Services: The Importance of Locksmith Accuracy and Precision
- Benefits of Traditional Door Lock Cylinders for Residential Properties
- Apartment Security: Why Additional Locks Become Beneficial to Renters?
- Domestic Locksmith Services: Reasons Why Old Homes Should Have Their Locks Updated
- How Restricted Keys Can Help Avoid Unauthorised Key Duplication
- Understanding Complex Lock Parts and Mechanisms in Car Door Locks
- Broken Car Key Extraction: Why Call a Professional Locksmith?
- Avoid Sham Locksmiths: Know Some Hiring Guidelines
- Rekeying Gives You Full Control Over Your Newly Purchased Home
- Grand Master Key for Hotels: What are the Benefits?
- Keyed to Differ and Keyed Alike: What are the Pros and Cons?
- Home Security Tips for Senior Citizens
- What are Smart Locks for Homes?
- Why is Time Management Important When Hiring Professional Locksmiths?
- View all articles…
- Residential Security: Are your Knob Locks Enough?
- Should You Rekey a Newly Bought House?
- View all articles…
- Ignition Problems and When to Call for a Locksmith
- The Importance of Master Key System in Factories
- View all articles…