Differences between Transponder and Remote Control KeysMarch 24, 2017
The traditional flat metal key that is used to open nearly every type of lock made is losing its popularity and usefulness, as newer types of locking systems come online. This is especially true in the case of the automotive industry, as new vehicles are now coming equipped with transponder keys, as well as remote control keys. Many people confuse the differences between transponder and remote control keys, and think that they are basically the same, they are not.
What is the Difference between a Transponder and a Remote Control Key?
While most cars today come with remote keys, instead of “just” a traditional flat car key, the latest auto mobile models are equipped with key-less transponder locks, thus eliminating the need for physical car keys altogether. The most basic difference between the two is that a transponder unlocks a vehicle without using a physical locking mechanism or key, and the engine will not start without it. A remote key can also unlock the vehicle’s doors, but if the remote control unit does not function, the traditional flat key can be used.
Some types of remote control keys have the remote unit mounted on the head of the key and is basically a separate piece, and others have the remote unit built into/onto the key. If the remote is not functioning, either the battery is dead or the unit is broken, then the remote controlled locking system can be bypassed using the traditional key to unlock the vehicle without causing the alarm to go off.
The main difference is that a remote transponder key has a control chip inside of the unit that is a vital part of a vehicle’s security system, which provides an extra level of anti-theft. Without it, the engine cannot start and the alarm system cannot be disarmed, only an experienced auto locksmith trained in transponder technology can help. High-end cars that are favourite targets for thieves benefit the most from such transponder systems, as it drastically reduces the chance of their vehicle being stolen.
However, there are times that a transponder needs to be maintained, repaired or reprogrammed, and only an authorised auto locksmith can do that because specialised equipment is needed to correctly disarm the security system, and required to reprogram the unique electronic key that will start the vehicle.
15c Slough Road, Altona
Phone: (03) 9315 0522
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Customised Restricted Key System: What are the Benefits for Your Business?
- Know What's Best for Your Newly Built Commercial Building's Security
- Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Car Transponder Key
- Obtain Optimum Security in Commercial Properties with a Complex Master Keying System
- Check the Security of Your Door Lock Because Burglary Can Occur Anytime
- Signs of a Failing Car Ignition Lock Cylinder: When to Call a Locksmith?
- Temporary Construction Keying for Business Owners' Peace of Mind
- Car Locking Problems Due to Worn Out Keys: Hire Professional Locksmiths for Replacement
- Ensure the Security of Office Drawers and Cabinets: Call Professional Locksmiths
- Car Key Cutting Services: The Importance of Locksmith Accuracy and Precision
- Benefits of Traditional Door Lock Cylinders for Residential Properties
- Apartment Security: Why Additional Locks Become Beneficial to Renters?
- Domestic Locksmith Services: Reasons Why Old Homes Should Have Their Locks Updated
- How Restricted Keys Can Help Avoid Unauthorised Key Duplication
- Understanding Complex Lock Parts and Mechanisms in Car Door Locks
- Broken Car Key Extraction: Why Call a Professional Locksmith?
- Avoid Sham Locksmiths: Know Some Hiring Guidelines
- Rekeying Gives You Full Control Over Your Newly Purchased Home
- Grand Master Key for Hotels: What are the Benefits?
- Keyed to Differ and Keyed Alike: What are the Pros and Cons?
- Home Security Tips for Senior Citizens
- What are Smart Locks for Homes?
- Why is Time Management Important When Hiring Professional Locksmiths?
- View all articles…
- Residential Security: Are your Knob Locks Enough?
- Should You Rekey a Newly Bought House?
- View all articles…
- Ignition Problems and When to Call for a Locksmith
- The Importance of Master Key System in Factories
- View all articles…